Starting off the year right - Albacore Tuna Salad. A delicious tuna salad full of fruit and nuts.
Tuna salad is a favorite meal of mine. I usually make it with either egg, pickle, and onion, or with finely chopped apple.
This time, I wanted something different and pulled out a recipe that I've had on file for years and have never made. Albacore Tuna Salad with crushed pineapple, apple, celery, raisins and nuts. I couldn't wait to see the end result.
This salad is easy to throw together, but you need have your cans opened and everything drained, as well as ingredients pre-chopped.
After that, you just put everything in a big bowl and stir it up until it looks right!
I use a combination of mayonnaise and Miracle Whip in this, but you can use all mayonnaise if you want.
Some people don't really like Miracle Whip, but it's a staple down here in the South. I grew up using the sweet, tangy spread on most of my sandwiches and tend to prefer it. It will be good either way.
- Crushed Pineapple - chunk pineapple, chopped up
- Albacore Tuna - may be called "solid white tuna"; make sure it's packed in water, not oil.
- Apple - firm pear, mango
- Golden Raisins - small chopped dates
- Almonds - walnuts or your favorite nut
This Albacore Tuna Salad is amazing! The ingredients go great together, but don't hesitate to substitute your favorites if you have other preferences.
I like this salad because even though it has a bunch of ingredients, they're all healthy. Use Light Mayonnaise or Light Miracle Whip to make it even more so.
It will also last a few days refrigerated, so you can enjoy it again and again. Or better yet, share it with your friends. They'll be glad you did.
Albacore Tuna Salad
Hearty tuna salad full of fruits and nuts.
- 8 oz. unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 can (about 6 oz. drained) albacore tuna
- ½ large apple, chopped
- ½ C celery, sliced
- ½ C golden raisins
- ½ C sliced almonds (or ¼ C whole salted almonds)
- ¾ C mayonnaise
- ¼ C Miracle Whip
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, tuna, apple, celery, raisins and almonds.
- Add the mayonnaise and Miracle Whip and stir all together.
- Stir in the lemon juice, a large pinch of salt and pepper (or to taste) until combined.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until cool, then serve on your favorite bread or or on lettuce leaves.
Be sure and drain the crushed pineapple very well so the tuna won't be too wet.
If you don't like Miracle Whip, use all mayonnaise.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 7g
Nutrition Values are Approximate
Leave a Reply