It seems like everyone has their favorite buttermilk pie recipe. The one I'm using is Southern Living Buttermilk Pie, so how could it go wrong?
This is a wonderful lemony version that's fairly easy to throw together with ingredients you probably already have in the fridge.
Even though it has quite a bit of lemon in it, the tang is mellowed somewhat by the buttermilk.
The combination is perfect to me, but if you prefer less lemon you can dial back the tablespoon of lemon zest to a teaspoon or so.
I love the texture of this pie. Don't confuse buttermilk pie with chess pie. Chess pie doesn't have buttermilk in it and it sometimes includes cornmeal for it's texture. Even though I like both - check out my Chocolate Chess Pie recipe - buttermilk pie is a little higher on my pie-eating priority list.
You don't have a pie-eating priority list? You really need one.
I think you’ll enjoy this Southern Living Buttermilk Pie. I made it two hours ago and half of it’s gone already – taste testing, you know.
Looking for some more great pie recipes? Here you go!
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 ½ C sugar
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 C buttermilk
- ½ C butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon loosely packed lemon zest
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk together sugar and flour in a large bowl. Whisk eggs and the rest of the ingredients into the flour mixture; pour into your favorite unbaked pie crust.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until almost set, shielding the edges with aluminum foil after 15 minutes so the crust doesn't burn.
- Cool on a wire rack at least an hour.
Tips and Stuff:
Mine baked for almost an hour, but watch it after about 40 minutes. The middle will still be a bit wiggly when you take it out. It will set up upon cooling.
I served the pie with fresh cherries. It was a great combination.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g
Nutrition Values are Approximate