My sister, Glenda, grew a wonderful garden this year and I was the lucky recipient of huge, beautiful tomatoes fresh from the vine.
You always hear there's nothing like a fresh tomato and it's true - there's nothing like a fresh tomato!
I had a few that ripened at the same time and since Bret doesn't eat fresh tomatoes (the acid in them kills him), and I've had about my fill of slicing and eating them, this recipe was a perfect way to use them.
This Fresh Tomato Vinaigrette is simple, but uses flavorful ingredients like garlic, onions, and basil.
It's not a creamy or an oily dressing - the grated tomato is almost a puree that gives the dressing a hearty texture. Vinegar and olive oil is one of my favorites and adding it to these ingredients completes the dressing.
You could just about add any herb you like to it - my favorite happens to be basil, but I can see rosemary working well in it.
I would say this is definitely a successful use of fresh tomatoes and will make this again. Thanks, Sis!
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 1 teaspoon onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ to 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- dash of cayenne, (optional)
- Place a box grater in a medium bowl. Cut the vine end nub off of the quartered tomatoes and grate each tomato down to the skin. Discard the skin.
- Remove the grater and add the onion, garlic, both vinegars, basil, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Whisk together and adjust seasonings to taste. Use immediately or refrigerate. Keeps up to 2 days, but best the same day.
Tips and Stuff:
Adjust the seasonings to your tastes. I prefer a full teaspoon of basil, but that may be overwhelming for some. You may omit the cayenne if you'd like.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 27Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutrition Values are Approximate