Here’s a quick one for you on a busy weeknight or lazy day – Quick and Easy Puffy Pizza!
This tastes like homemade deep-dish pizza to me, but there isn’t really a crust. More like a puffed-up pizza or semi-casserole in a way.
I love the thick and chewy biscuit “crust” and all of the pizza flavors without all the fuss. And, of course, you can use any pizza ingredients you like (pepperoni would be great).
I realize that I make many recipes from ingredients I need to use before they expire (cake mixes, fruit getting ready to go, these biscuits….), but I don’t want to waste them and heaven forbid I actually buy stuff as I need it! Those sales are too tempting.
Anyway, I really liked this Quick and Easy Puffy Pizza and best of all, it’s very easy. Easy = good.
It takes awhile for the all of the biscuits to get done, especially the ones in the middle. Keep your eye on them.
- 1, 12 oz can biscuits
- Italian sausages, , out of casings
- 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 C chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 C thinly sliced black olives
- 12 oz marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 13x9" glass baking dish with Pam or wipe with oil. Set aside.
- Cut each biscuit into fourths and put into a medium bowl. Saute the sausage meat until lightly browned and crumbly; drain the grease.
- Put the cooked sausage, 3/4 C. of the mozzarella, 1/4 C. of the parmesan, mushrooms, black olives, 10 oz. of the marinara sauce and seasoning into the bowl with the biscuits and lightly toss till all of the biscuits are covered and the ingredients are mixed in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish, pour remaining 2 oz. of marinara sauce evenly on top, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 C. mozzarella and 1/4 parmesan, and bake for 40-45 minutes, testing the middle for doneness at 40 minutes. Serve with a fresh salad and warm marinara if desired.
Tips and Stuff:
I used Pillsbury flaky biscuits, but any type will do.
I also used Prego for the marinara - it was perfect.
I mixed the mixture with my hands so I wouldn't mush the biscuits with a spoon. I used an 8x10" baking dish, but will use a larger one next time, so the middle will cook evenly with the outside edges. Use any pizza ingredients you want - very versatile!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 722mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Nutrition Values are Approximate