I've been looking a long time for a good sandwich cookie filling and finally came up with this one after much experimentation.
The cookie part of this Chocolate Sugared Sandwich Cookie is reminiscent of my previously posted Chocolate Cookie, but I think it's a little more substantial. It also has that wonderful creamy filling.
They're simple to throw together and next time I'll make them almost half the size (¾" balls vs. 1 ¼" balls precooked). They're quite rich and somewhat filling when made as regularly-sized cookies.
The sugared cookie texture is wonderful and I love the cracked top look.
I made the filling two ways - one with butter and the other with shortening - and the shortening filling wins hands down.
For a Christmas plate or cookie swap, you could add a couple of drops of peppermint extract and crush a handful of candy canes into the filling and they would be perfect!
Chocolate Sugared Sandwich Cookies are so different and definitely a terrific, tasty cookie. Enjoy!
Chocolate Sugared Sandwich Cookie
A great chocolate sugar cookie made even better with a creamy filling.
- 2 C. flour
- ¾ C. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ scant tsp. salt
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 C. sugar, plus ½ C. for rolling cookies
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ¼ C. confectioner's sugar
- ¼ C. shortening
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 to 2 tsp. half and half (or evaporated milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Put ½ C. sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter and 2 C. sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. Slow add the flour mixture and mix on low until completely combined. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Shape the cookie dough into about ¾" balls and roll each in the set-aside sugar. Bake for 11-12 minutes, until the edges have set and the centers are puffed and starting to crack. Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- Match like-sized cookies together.
- For the filling, in a small bowl combine the confectioner's sugar, shortening and vanilla. Mix until comes together and is almost creamy (may take a few minutes). Add half-and-half one tsp. at a time until proper consistency for spreading between cookies.
- Place about 1 heaping tsp. between two cookies and lightly press down. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
Tips and Stuff:
If using unsalted butter, increase salt to ¾ tsp.
If you want to cut the sugar, bake the cookies without rolling in the sugar - they'll be just as good with the filling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 28 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
Nutrition Values are Approximate
Leave a Reply