Since cauliflower has become such a popular and everyday vegetable (see Welcome Cauliflower - Kale is so Yesterday), I've been looking for some good recipes that highlight the vegetable.
I couldn't find the cheesy roasted cauliflower recipe I grew up with, but found one that was very close (sans crispy bread topping).
This Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole comes from thebeetingheart.com . There's a bunch of healthy recipes on the site, although this one has quite a bit of cheese in it, so I'm not sure how entirely healthy it is....
I don't prefer cauliflower crunchy, so I appreciate the baked tenderness of this cheesy side dish.
We had it alongside a grilled rib-eye steak and fresh green salad and it was really good - we emptied the bowl in record time. You could leave some of the cheese out without a problem and it would still be a great vegetable dish.
Bret thought this is kind of like a cauliflower gratin I've made before. I guess you could say that. It's definitely delicious and creamy.
I've made this easy Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole many times, but it keeps disappearing before I can get a really good photo of it! That's OK, though because it give me an excuse to make it again and again.
Another great vegetable casserole for you: Cheesy Spinach Macaroni Casserole!
Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole
Cheesy and tender; a great alternative vegetable dish and easy to throw together.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into pieces
- ½ C water
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ C shredded Mozzarella
- 3 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Cut cauliflower into bite-sized pieces and put into a microwave-safe container with ½ C. water. Microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes covered. This will steam the cauliflower. You may need to add more time if cauliflower is not tender enough after 8 minutes.
- Once cauliflower is tender, drain off the water very well. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add milk and stir.
- Take a fork, two knives, or a masher and mash the cauliflower with the milk. Add the cheddar cheese and stir.
- Microwave on high for another 2 minutes. Lightly spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon the cauliflower mix into the dish and top with the Mozzarella cheese.
- Place casserole dish under the broiler (uncovered) for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbling on top. Serve warm.
Drain the water off of the cauliflower very well or it will be watery. T
his could be easily doubled for a pot luck dinner.
I left the cauliflower a little lumpy instead of thoroughly mashing it because we liked the texture and you can taste the cauliflower better.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutrition Values are Approximate
Had broccoli so decided to try recipe with it. It was delicious! As recipe suggests, it helped a lot to drain all the water off and let the broccoli dry before next steps. Great recipe!
That sounds good, Sherlynn. Glad you enjoyed it!