So, I’m still trying to use up the gunny sack of chocolate chips Bret brought home from Costco. I’m not complaining, but we needed something a little varied from chocolate chip cookies. Oh, and by the way, I have the best recipe for chocolate chip cookies that my sister put in our little family cookbook. It’s amazing!
This recipe for Can’t-Leave-Alone Bars originates from Taste of Home magazine and has been floating around the “cloud” for years.
The filling for this bar is the best part and when warm tastes like deep chocolate brownie pudding. It’s hard to describe, but is delicious.
A shortbread base and oatmeal streusel topping instead of the cake mix would be terrific. If you’d rather not use a pre-made cake mix, try that. One day I’ll experiment with that and post the results.
You can’t go wrong with these if you want something quick and sweet, though, and I think kids will really like them.
Can’t-Leave-Alone Bars are named well. We picked up half of one or a whole one every time we walked by the kitchen. They’re easy to make and definitely easy to eat. They didn’t stay around very long and I’ll make them again!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 can, (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk(not evaporated)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 stick butter, , cut small
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9x2" baking pan.
- Beat cake mix, eggs and oil in a large bowl till blended. Press 2/3 in pan and reserve the rest.
- Microwave condensed milk, chocolate and butter in a bowl on high for 1 min. Stir well, then pour evenly over crust. Top with teaspoons of reserved cake mixture. Bake 20-25 min. Cool. Cut into bars.
Tips and Stuff:
You'll want to cut these small since the filling is so sweet and rich.
Chocolate cake mix would be good on this one, too, and would be oh so rich and decadent.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Nutrition Values are Approximate