Just in time for Memorial Day and Fourth of July! Spicy Watermelon Salad is the perfect combination of fresh ingredients for a side to your Summer BBQ.
Fresh watermelon, cilantro, jalapeños, onion are tossed with a spicy lime dressing. It's refreshing, light, and delicious.
You'll want to make this the day of your gathering and - good news - you serve it room temperature for the best flavor.
I got this recipe from the new Joy of Cooking (not so new anymore, I guess - 2019) and I changed it a bit to make it a little better and more to our tastes.
What You Will Need:
- Fresh, seedless watermelon (this would be good with cantaloupe, too!)
- Small red onion
- Small jalapeño (or be brave and go with a habañero - yikes)
- Fresh Limes (about 2)
- One bunch of fresh cilantro (if you hate cilantro or can't get, use parsley)
- Chili powder, salt, cayenne
So easy! So good....
This salad is so very quick and easy to throw together and you can adjust the ingredients as you wish.
If you don't like cilantro (what!?), go ahead and use parsley. That will give it a pop of green.
Adjust the cayenne if you'd like. I used the entire ⅛th teaspoon, but you may want to start with a little less and do a taste test. Remember, there's also chopped fresh jalapeño.
Enjoy this Spicy Watermelon Salad for the upcoming Memorial Day or Fourth of July. Or make it for any summertime, watermelon season gathering.
You'll be glad and your guests and family will be glad.
- 6 cups fresh watermelon, seeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoon lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste - I used more)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- In a large serving bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients.
- Stir gently to combine and serve at room temperature.
- Store leftover in the refrigerator.
Sprinkle the lime juice, honey, chili pepper, salt and cayenne all over the top of the watermelon to disperse it better (rather than plopping it all in one spot).
Use more or fewer ingredients to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
Nutrition Values are Approximate