Where has this year gone?? It seems like we were just celebrating New Year's Eve and now here's another.
If there's gonna be a party, I'm making these Mini Cheesy Sausage Bites!
I wanted to make a bite-sized savory appetizer that has lots 'o cheese and lightly spicy Italian sausage, then decided it needs a little Rotel thrown in. To make it a little easier, I use frozen phyllo cups and don't worry - if I can find them in my local grocery freezer section, so can you!
If you don't have time to go get/don't have access to/don't want to use the phyllo cups, go ahead and use the mixture for a thick, tasty, cheesy dip with your favorite chips.
These Mini Cheesy Sausage Bites end up being a substantial little bite. We actually ate them for lunch today after I was through photographing.
The ingredients are simple (sausage, cream cheese, Mexican blend shredded cheese, Rotel, and a couple of seasonings), and combine to make a great little appetizer. Or lunch.
If you can't make it in time for your New Year's celebration, then keep it on your list for the Super Bowl! Better yet, make it tonight for your family as a treat. They'll love you.
- 1 pkg (15 mini cups) frozen phyllo dough
- 2 sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 oz cream cheese (lite or regular)
- ½ C shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- ½ C Rotel tomatoes*
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- pinch of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set out the frozen phyllo cups to thaw a bit while you're making the filling.
- Remove the casings from the sausage. Place a medium skillet over medium heat and brown the sausage, breaking it up into small bits. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the cream cheese to the browned sausage and stir until the cream cheese is melted and combined into the sausage.
- Add the garlic salt, pepper, and shredded cheese and stir until combined and melted. Add the Rotel and stir to until thickened and hot, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Place the phyllo cups on the cookie sheet. Spoon about 1 heaping teaspoon of the mixture into each cup. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Serve warm.
Spoon the Rotel out of the can, retaining any juice that comes with it. It will thicken in the mixture.
*If you can't find Rotel where you are, use small diced canned tomatoes and add 1 tablespoon of chopped pickled jalapenos (or to taste - I like them spicy).
I sprinkled a pinch of shredded cheese on top of the cups, but that's entirely optional,.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 sausage cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
Nutrition values are approximate.