These Peanut Butter Cookies with Whipped Ganache Filling came about because I wanted a good peanut butter cookie, but with chocolate in it somewhere.
Plus, Bret likes those Tagalong Girl Scouts cookies and I thought these would be a like those with a little variation.
To be a little more authentic they could have been dipped in chocolate, but it would have been way overkill and too rich.
Instead, I whipped the ganache so it would be lighter, but still have that silky chocolate feel. They ended up as a nice two-bite little cookie - rich, delicate in a way, and deeply satisfying.
You can make the cookies any size you want, but I recommend about 1 ½" in diameter. Put plenty of filling in them, too, so it kind of squishes out when you bite into it. That's the good part. The squishing of chocolate ganache.
Oh, and I didn't mention how soft and tender the peanut butter cookies are. It's the old classic recipe from the side of the Crisco can. (I did add a little more peanut butter, though.)
Don't forget the glass of milk or coffee. These Peanut Butter Cookies with Whipped Ganache Filling are great for a snack or dessert (or breakfast as I found out this morning!). Your family and friends will love them.
- Peanut Butter Cookies:
- ½ C shortening
- 1 C creamy peanut butter
- 1 ¼ C firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ C all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- Whipped Ganache Filling:
- ½ C evaporated milk
- 1 C chocolate chips (or your favorite chopped chocolate)
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare cookie sheet(s) by lining with parchment paper.
- Combine shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add egg and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine sifted flour, salt, and baking soda. Turn mixer to low and add flour into creamed mixture, ½ cup at a time. Mix until just blended (don't over mix). Dough with be semi-firm.
- Take a heaping teaspoonful of dough and roll into a ball. Place on the cookie sheet and press cookie down with fingers to slightly flatten. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Bake cookies for 7 to 7 ½ minutes until just set. They won't brown, so don't over bake. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet and slightly flatten cookies again (with back of a spatula or your fingers). Remove to a rack to cool completely before filling.
- For the ganache: Pour the evaporated milk into a glass measuring cup and microwave for one minute. The milk should be steaming - if not, microwave for 30 to 45 seconds more. Do not let it boil.
- Put chocolate chips into a medium glass bowl. Pour the hot milk over the chocolate chips and let sit for 30 seconds. Stir with a silicone or wooden spoon until smooth, creamy, and glossy. Add salt, vanilla, and sifted powdered sugar and stir to combine thoroughly. Place the ganache into the refrigerator for about 1 hour until thickened.
- Remove ganache from the refrigerator and beat with an electric mixer with whisk attachment until fluffy. Spoon into either a pastry bag with tip or a Zip-loc bag with one corner cut out.
- Match up like-sized cookies. Pipe about 2 teaspoons (or more - your preference) of chocolate onto one cookie of the paired cookies and place the other cookie on it, pressing down lightly.
- Store cookies in an airtight container. Stay fresh for about 3 days.
Tips and Stuff:
Refrigerate the cookie dough between bakes to keep it firm.
Make the cookies whatever size you want, but bite-sized is best. They're pretty rich little cookies.
Do not over bake the cookies - they definitely don't brown except a touch on the bottom of the cookies.
If you don't want to warm the evaporated milk in the microwave, use a small pan on low on the stovetop until just steaming (don't boil). Then pour over the chocolate.
If the ganache is too firm to pipe, after putting it into the piping bag, massage it gently to soften it a bit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g
Nutrition Values are Approximate