After the terrific braciole recipe last week, we had a dozen or so very thin slices of prosciutto leftover that I used in these Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Thighs.
It's the wonderful prosciutto from Jimmy's in downtown Dallas and if you've ever been there, you know it absolutely can't be wasted because of its great quality and taste.
I couldn't really find a recipe that struck my fancy for the prosciutto, so I combined and created and came up with these Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Thighs.
I have all the ingredients on hand and it sounds like a good one to showcase the fantastic prosciutto.
The chicken ends up perfectly cooked. It's moist with the crisp wrapping of prosciutto really taking it over the top.
The light marinade of garlic and rosemary, although simple, is just right and the juice leftover after baking is delicious over mashed potatoes.
If you're looking for a fun cooking destination, go to Jimmy's in Dallas if you're in the area. Pick up some of their tasty prosciutto so you can try Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Thighs.
Bet you'll stick around and pick up some of the mini-cannoli or fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano, too! Oh, and don't forget to go down the Italian pasta aisle. And pick some fresh mozzarella while you're at it.
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned and trimmed of fat
- salt and pepper
- 12 slices prosciutto, very thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large glass bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic and rosemary. Salt and pepper the chicken thighs and add them to the olive oil mix. Coat thoroughly and turn, covering all of the chicken.
- Wrap each chicken thigh length-wise with one piece of prosciutto and tuck under the bottom. Wrap another piece of prosciutto width-wise and tuck under. (The chicken thigh will be wrapped like a little package). Sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper.
- Carefully place the chicken thighs in a single layer (seam side down) in a 13x9" glass casserole. Spoon the remaining oil marinade evenly over the chicken. Drizzle a little extra olive oil over the chicken if needed. (The bundles should be lightly shiny with olive oil so it doesn't dry out during baking.)
- Bake the chicken, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes (or until about 165°). Juice will run clear. Serve immediately.
Tips and Stuff:
I sprinkled just a bit more rosemary over the chicken just before baking.
You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but the baking time may be different so keep an eye (and thermometer) on them.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 chicken thighs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 1804mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 46g
Nutrition Values are Approximate