I'm working down to the bottom of the giant basket of mushrooms that Bret brought home and besides the Chicken with Balsamic Mushrooms, Cheesy Mushroom Burger, and Buttered Pasta with Mushrooms and Sausage, I came up with these savory, buttery Mushroom and Jalapeno Quesadillas.
This particular recipe is for one, but I made them last week for two and just doubled the recipe. They're sauteed in a little butter to create the golden brown, crunchy outside and they're filled with a cheesy and savory mushroom jalapeno mixture.
I used fresh jalapeno that wasn't really that hot but if you prefer, you can use pickled jalapenos or leave them out. The fresh jalapenos give them a nice extra crunch, though.
I loved these served with creamy sour cream, chunky salsa, and a little green onion. The flavors were perfect and we're adding these easy quesadillas to the weekly dinner routine!
- 4 tablespoon diced fresh mushrooms, (about 4 large button mushrooms)
- 1 teaspoon fresh jalapeno
- 1 ½ tablespoon shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2, 6-inch flour tortillas
- 2 to 3 teaspoon butter
- Salt and pepper
- Melt about a teaspoon of butter in a medium skillet on medium. Add mushrooms and jalapeno and sauté until mushrooms are soft. Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper to taste. Put mushroom mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly on one side of one tortilla. Sprinkle all of the mushroom mixture on top of the mozzarella, spreading evenly to about ¼” near the edges. Sprinkle the Mexican cheese over the mushroom mixture and place the second tortilla on top.
- Melt about 1 more teaspoon of butter in the skillet and turn heat to medium.
- Carefully place the quesadilla in the skillet and leave for 2-3 minutes. While it’s cooking, dot a little butter on the top tortilla. Carefully flip the quesadilla, using a spatula and your other hand and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and place on a dish – use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the quesadilla into six triangles. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Tips and Stuff:
Be sure and flip the quesadilla with both hands so the filling won't fall out. Press down on it lightly with a spatula to bind the ingredients a little.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 591Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 1037mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g
Nutrition Values are Approximate