Do you have leftover Sunday? We do. Our refrigerator ends up full of odd-sized containers with leftovers from almost every night's meal and on Sunday we get them all out and have quite the Tupperware buffet.
That's not particularly a bad thing, but sometimes the containers get shoved into the back of the refrigerator and we discover them a few weeks later with strange little green stuff growing on them. I really do feel bad about wasting food when that happens.
I've been looking for more recipes that are specifically for two people so that less food will go to waste. This wonderful Chicken Mediterranean caught my eye and was an instant hit! It's one of those dishes that you would definitely order in a restaurant if they offered it.
The ingredients look so simple, but when combined they create a wonderful tangy tomatoey dish full of herbs and different levels of flavor.
I'm not usually a big fan of feta, but it completes this plate-full of goodness, adding a little saltiness to the sweet sauce. On top of tasting great, it's really a fairly healthy meal.
I really love this Chicken Mediterranean and am so glad I found it in the Southern Living cookbook that's been sitting on my shelf all these years.
We've made this wonderful pasta dish many times and it has become a staple for dinner in our house. Hope you enjoy it!
One of our new favorites. Great flavor combination and it makes a great hearty meal. Makes 2 big servings.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ lb boneless, , skinless chicken breast - cut into cubes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced Italian tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ C sliced black olives
- ⅓ C crumbled feta cheese
- 4 oz penne pasta, , cooked
- Prepare your favorite pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, in a skillet, saute garlic in oil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add the cubed chicken and cook over medium-high for 6-7 minutes until chicken is done and lightly browned.
- Remove chicken and put aside. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, and black olives to the skillet and reduce heat. Simmer on low for about 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and stir. Sprinkle with feta cheese and remove from the heat.
- Cover and let stand about 5 minutes. Serve immediately over hot cooked pasta. Serve with fresh crusty bread.
Tips and Stuff :
I use 1 fairly large chicken breast, weighing around ½ lb. I cut it into ½" cubes and it was perfect.
I also used fresh basil because I grow it, but you can use dried.
Add about 2 tbsp. of the pasta water to the tomato mixture to add a little more moisture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 43g
Nutrition Values are Approximate
Leave a Reply