Winter time means great citrus fruit time. A friend gave us some beautiful homegrown lemons and there was no way I was going to let them go bad. They’re bright yellow with a rather thin skin and were bursting with juice.
These Lemon Glazed Scones are just perfect to really showcase the bright, fresh flavor.
The scone is barely sweet and the amazing lemon glaze really complemented the flavor. I had a hard time not licking the glaze bowl. It’s tart, sweet, and lemony and the addition of the butter made it creamy and buttery, too. What a combination!
- lemon zest from one large lemon
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C evaporated milk
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest.
- In another medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and soda. Stir flour mixture into sugar/lemon mixture until combined.
- Grate the butter into the flour mixture and mix quickly with your hands until it resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, combine the egg and milk. Pour into the flour mixture and stir all together until thoroughly combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a smooth ball. Shape into a 7 or 8" circle, about 3/4" thick and cut into 8 even triangles.
- Place the scones onto a parchment covered baking sheet with a little room between each. Bake for approximately 15 minutes until very lightly golden brown - don't over bake.
- Allow the scones to cool on a rack. When completely cool, whisk together the glaze ingredients and brush onto scones. Let set before storing.
I sprinkled a little turbinado sugar on each scone before baking. I loved the crunch it gave them after baked.
I also sprinkled a little more lemon zest on each scone after they were glazed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 scones
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 5g
Nutrition Values are Approximate