I've been wanting to make these Toffee Chocolate Bars for about a year now, ever since I saw the irresistible photo on Pinterest.
You can see it at my Pinterest account under my board "Yummy Bars." (And Follow me while you're there - I pin lots of good recipes!).
I've altered the original recipe a bit and it came out wonderful. It's sweet and chocolaty, and because it's so rich I recommend cutting it in 2x2" pieces, which is a little smaller than usual.
Here's a nice closeup so you can see the layers of the soft chewy base, the creamy middle, and the crunchy chocolate toffee topping.
After cooling the bars completely the chocolate didn't harden up at room temperature, so I thought refrigeration would firm it up a bit. Bret took them out of the refrigerator to cut them for dessert and I heard quite a colorful diatribe coming from the kitchen.
The combination of toffee and chocolate had hardened the top and he couldn't even cut them with a huge chef's knife. I actually broke off the tip of a paring knife trying to get them out of the glass pan!
After we let these Toffee Chocolate Bars sit at room temperature awhile, they came out much easier. Next time I'll let them cool completely, refrigerate to firm up the chocolate, then set out and store at room temperature for serving. I was happy not to have to use them for a door stop because they're soooo good.
Toffee Chocolate Bars
The chewy base, creamy middle and crunchy top are a perfect combination. Adapted from ShowMeNan's original recipe.
- ¾ C butter, softened
- ¾ C packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ C flour
- 1 can, (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ C toffee bits
- ½ C bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream together butter, brown sugar and flour until well blended and mixture sticks together. Press into an 11x7" glass baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool while preparing the filling.
- For the filling, heat the condensed milk and butter in a heavy pan, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened (7-8 minutes). Spread over the base and bake for about 12 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and onto rack. Melt the chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave in 30 to -45 second increments until almost smooth, stirring between each heat cycle. Stir until chocolate is totally smooth, then pour evenly over the top of the bars.
- Sprinkle the toffee bits evenly over the chocolate, pressing them lightly into the chocolate, and let the bars cool completely.
- After cooled, refrigerate the bars for at least 30 minutes to firm up the chocolate. Remove from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before cutting in small pieces. Store at room temperature.
I used Heath Toffee bits and used the entire bag to sprinkle over the top of the bars.
Don't overcook the condensed milk and butter mixture. Just cook till thickened.
Be sure and let them come to room temperature before cutting!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 1g
Nutrition Values are Approximate
Leave a Reply