Growing up, we always had my mother's delicious sweet potato pie for one of our Thanksgiving dessert choices. Of course along with pecan pie and tons of homemade cookies and candy.
I didn't taste a real pumpkin pie until my twenties and didn't particularly like it because it seemed somewhat bitter and wasn't sweet enough.
I definitely changed my mind about pumpkin pie when I found this Double-Layer Pumpkin Pie recipe in a magazine advertisement about 10 years ago.
This pie has a layer of whipped, creamy cream cheese and a layer of wonderfully fluffy pumpkin pie. The combination is like a deconstructed pumpkin cheesecake.
The result is delicious and just a touch decadent.
If you're looking for a "wow" pie that's easy to make for Thanksgiving, I highly recommend this Double-Layer Pumpkin Pie.
I see you. You want to pick up that fork and dig in, don't you?
Double-Layer Pumpkin Pie
Fluffy pumpkin pie with a luscious cream cheese layer.
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp. milk or half-and-half
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 ½ C. thawed Cool Whip
- 1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- 1 C. milk or half and half
- 2 pkgs., 4 serving size vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
- 1 can, 15 oz. pumpkin
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- Mix cream cheese, milk and sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Gently stir in whipped topping until thoroughly mixed in. Spread onto bottom of graham cracker crust.
- Pour 1 C. milk into a bowl. Add pudding mix and beat until well blended, 1 to 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Add pumpkin and spices to pudding mixture and mix well.
- Spread pumpkin mixture over cream cheese layer and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
Tips and Stuff:
I used one of the larger Keebler graham cracker crusts (it says "two extra servings" on the package). There's a lot of filling and seems to fit better in the larger crust.
If your pumpkin mixture seems far too thick, just add a tablespoon or so more of milk and beat until smooth. You don't want too much, though, or it won't firm up when refrigerated.
I really take it easy on the cloves. The original recipe called for ¼ tsp., but I think that's overwhelming. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g
Nutrition Values are Approximate
Leave a Reply