Here’s a quick one for you. My mother-in-law makes these Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas at Christmas along with beef chili enchiladas and I’ve always just loved them. Probably because they’re chock full of chicken and cream cheese and covered with that wonderful cheesy sauce.
It’s a quick throw-together meal and very filling.
Be sure and make them with 6″ tortillas – I accidentally made them with 8″ tortillas and they were huge and a little floppy (but good). And did I mention cheesy?
Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas are easy, but delicious and filling.
- 2 C. chopped chicken or turkey
- 1 C. chopped green bell pepper
- 1 pkg., 8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1 jar, 8 oz. salsa, divided and room temperature
- 8 6" flour tortillas
- 3/4 lb. 12 oz. Velveeta original
- 1/4 C. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir chicken, bell pepper, cream cheese, and 1/2 C. salsa in a saucepan on low heat until cream cheese is melted.
- Spoon 1/3 C. chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam side down, in a lightly greased 8x12"" baking dish.
- Stir Velveeta and milk in a saucepan on low heat until smooth. Pour sauce over tortillas; cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Pour remaining salsa over tortillas.
Tips and Stuff:
Ma's tip - Before covering a casserole with foil, spray the foil with cooking spray to prevent sticking. (And it works great!)
Ma's tip - If flour tortillas are a little too stiff to roll easily, wrap them in a damp paper towel and warm them in the microwave for 10-12 seconds until they are soft and pliable.
Be sure and use chopped chicken. I used shredded and didn't like the texture as much.
To make it lighter, you can use Neufchatel (1/3 less fat) cream cheese and lower fat Velveeta. I think it would be almost as good.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 enchilada
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 1139mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 25g
Nutrition Values are Approximate