I've been experimenting with cooking techniques lately - one of my favorite being charred corn.
Briefly charring the corn in a pan really brings out the corn flavor and it's terrific in these Southwest Chicken Tacos.
I've also used flour tortillas successfully (see photos!) and enjoy them both ways. This recipe is great to use leftover rotisserie chicken!
The combination of the corn, chicken, fresh tomatoes, seasonings and cilantro is just perfect! Savory with a kick - the perfect Southwest Chicken Taco!
It looks like there are a lot of ingredients, but the recipe is really a quick, easy, delicious meal. I hope you try these - I know you'll love them!
- 4 corn or flour tortillas (your choice)
- olive oil
- ¾ C canned corn, well drained
- 1 C leftover cooked chicken, chopped small
- 1 small fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly (keep white and green separated)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pickled or fresh jalapeno, finely chopped
- ½ C cilantro, chopped
- sour cream
- 1 fresh lime, quartered
- Set aside a one-foot length of aluminum foil. Heat a medium dry nonstick pan on medium heat. Add one tortilla at at time, warming for 30 seconds. Turn the tortilla over and warm the second side for another 30 seconds, until pliable. Put warm tortilla on the aluminum foil and continue with the rest of the tortillas. Fold the aluminum foil over the warmed tortillas and wrap snugly. Keep in a warm place.
- Add 2 tsp. of olive oil in the same pan on medium-high, then add the corn - spreading it evenly in one layer. Let cook without stirring for about 30 seconds, until a bit charred on one side, then stir.
- Add the chopped chicken, tomatoes, and white portion of the green onion to the pan and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the cumin over the mixture and stir. If dry, add a drizzle of olive oil. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Into the mixture, stir the jalapenos (if using) and 1 tbsp. of the chopped cilantro until evenly mixed in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread 1 tsp. of sour cream evenly over each tortilla and spoon one-fourth of the chicken mixture on top of each. Sprinkle cilantro and chopped green onion on top. Squeeze a little lime juice on each taco and drizzle with your favorite salsa. Serve while tortilla is still warm.
Tips and Stuff:
This is a very versatile recipe - if you don't want jalapeno, leave it out. Hate cilantro - leave it out. More cumin? Go right ahead.
I used a combination of cooked white and dark meat. Chop pretty finely for a better textured taco.
Corn tortillas are great with this (make sure they're fresh), but flour tortillas worked well, too.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 taco
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 14g
Nutrition Values are Approximate