Super Bowl time!! I grew up watching football with my Dad, who would watch all football, all weekend from the NFL on down to college football. The games were left on even during meals and my Dad would strategically sit where he could lean back and glance at the screen if something exciting happened.
The Super Bowl was a big event, although if the Houston Oilers (yes, Oilers not Texans) weren’t in the playoffs or in the Super Bowl, we didn’t get quite as excited about the big game.
The snacks weren’t quite as important back then as when I left home and began attending Super Bowl parties – then I had to start coming up with something a little more exciting than someone else brought!
Pepperoni Pizza Puffs are very different than the Cheese and Pepperoni Crescent Puffs previously posted.
These two-bite puffs are made from scratch and have lots and lots of cheese in them, along with tasty seasonings and a kick from red pepper flakes. They actually taste like little puffy pizzas!
I made a few minor changes from lickthebowlgood recipe, but found that the basic recipe was really good.
These Pepperoni Pizza Puffs are good popped in the mouth fresh from the oven, but were better when dipped into warm marinara!
It makes 24 mini-muffins and would be perfect for your next Super Bowl party.
- 3/4 C flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, (or to taste)
- 3/4 C 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 C small cubed pepperoni
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and red pepper flakes; whisk in the milk and egg.
- Stir in the mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with your favorite warmed up marinara sauce.
Tips and Stuff:
I used a little Pam spray on the muffin pan and had to really coax the muffins out. Be sure and coat the pan well to avoid that problem.
All I had was sliced pepperoni, so I chopped those up - they were good, but I think cubed pepperoni stick would be better.
The original recipe called for pizza sauce, but I find marinara more flavorful.
Next time I think I'll add browned sausage and maybe some black olives or mushrooms. Very versatile recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutrition Values are Approximate