This Quick and Easy Salted Chocolate Toffee recipe has been around forever and I've just gotten around to trying it. I thought now would be a good time, because on a recent Costco visit without me Bret bought a 72 ounce bag of chocolate chips - I've made as many batches of chocolate chip cookies as I can take.
For some reason, saltine cracker toffee just sounded a little weird to me. I always thought the butter/sugar mixture would make the crackers soggy, but I was wrong!
The toffee comes out crunchy and chocolatey with a touch of salty-sweet after sprinkling the sea salt on top. It's a quick fix for a sweet-tooth craving, but for full-blown toffee, I'll stick to my mother-in-law's recipe. It's the best.
Took awhile, but finally got a pretty good picture of the toffee the second time I made it. With the first one I put the chips on the warm toffee and tried to spread them (disaster).
In the second batch (pictured below), I melted the chocolate first, then spread it on the toffee. I've never had good luck with putting the chips on and spreading while they're solid
Probably everyone has tried a version of this toffee. It really is easy and tasty.
This Quick and Easy Salted Chocolate Toffee recipe has floated around the cooking-sphere forever and I'm glad I finally tried it. It will be quick to whip up at the last minute and the ingredients are always right on hand!
- 35-40 saltine crackers
- 1 C. butter, cubed
- ¾ C. sugar
- 2 C. 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place crackers in a single layer (crackers touching) on a foil-lined 15" x 10" x 1" cookie sheet.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and add sugar - bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5-7 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Carefully spread mixture over the crackers.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips in microwave or over a double-boiler. Remove crackers from oven and pour chocolate over them, spreading with a spatula. Sprinkle sea salt over chocolate.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (the longer, the crisper). After chilled, break into pieces. Store in refrigerator.
Tips and Stuff:
If salted crackers and sea salt seems too much salt for you, use unsalted crackers. I've seen this recipe using graham crackers, too.
If you want a darker toffee, boil the butter/sugar mixture a little longer till it turns golden. Be sure and watch it carefully.
Do not sit down with the container of finished toffee. You will eat it all.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
Nutrition Values are Approximate