This is my favorite cinnamon bread recipe of all time. It fills the house with that fresh-baked cinnamon smell and turns out beautifully every time. Cinnamon Bread Deluxe is dense and moist and everything you’d want in a cinnamon bread.
Penzey’s Spices put out a beautiful magazine for several years and this recipe was in one of them. Unfortunately they no longer publish the magazine, but they do send a catalog that includes not only their spices and prices, but also stories about everyday people and their recipes.
If you have a Penzey’s in your neighborhood, I highly recommend a day trip to browse their herb and spice aisles. For you all in D/FW, there’s a Penzey’s at 635 and Preston.
This Cinnamon Bread Deluxe is really great with coffee. Bret thinks I say everything is good with coffee (which most things are, right?), but this is an outstanding breakfast bread.
- 1 ½ C granulated sugar, , divided
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 C flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, , beaten
- 1 C milk
- 1/3 C plus 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- Mix ½ C of the sugar with the cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg, milk and oil and vanilla; add to the flour mixture. Stir by hand just until moistened.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and cinnamon mixture. Draw a knife through the batter to marble the bread.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool. Wrap and store bread overnight before slicing.
Tips and Stuff:
Check the loaf at 45 minutes by putting the toothpick in near to the side of the pan instead of through the top of the loaf. The top will be more moist than the rest.
It really is better after cooled, wrapped and left overnight. It's an awesome breakfast bread with coffee, but we have it for dessert, too!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate.