You had me at doughnuts, but add muffins into the mix and I’m yours.
My sister, Glenda, kept telling me about this recipe that she and her granddaughter have made many times and how much they love it. I finally got the recipe from her and I’m not sure if I’m glad or sad.
These light-textured, cinnamon-sugar wonder buns are very addictive and bumped a few long-time standards from my favorites list!
There’s nothing outlandish in the ingredients, but the muffin comes out light and fluffy and oh, so barely sweet. Then, the good part – you roll the warm muffin in melted butter and roll it completely in a sugar-cinnamon mixture.
After doused in this concoction and while warm, they are the best things I’ve tasted in a long time!
Even better…mini Doughnut Muffins! I had quite a bit of leftover batter from the 12 regular-sized muffins, so I greased the mini muffin pan and used the rest of it up. Rolled them in butter after they baked, then into the sugar mixture and popped a warm one in my mouth. Heaven!
Next time I’ll probably make them all mini muffins. Bret said ‘mmph, num, uh-huh, mmph yum’ when I asked him if he liked them; mainly, because he was stuffing the mini muffins down his gourd. He liked them.
- 3/4 C butter, , softened
- 2/3 C packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 C 2% milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 C sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 C. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars til light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat in milk and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture and stir by hand til just moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups and bake 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes and remove to a wire rack.
- Combine the coating sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and, in a separate bowl, melt the butter. Roll a warm muffin in the butter and then dip and roll into the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Repeat with all muffins.
- Best eaten when warm.
Make sure the softened butter for the batter is room temperature.
After adding the flour mixture, be sure and stir by hand just until combined so the muffins won't be tough.
The mini muffins are the best - next time I'll make them all mini! Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 383mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g
Nutrition Values are Approximate