It’s getting cold outside (finally) and thoughts go to warm, comforting soup.
Bret bought some great Italian sausage last week and I’ve been looking for something to make with it. This Sausage Bean Soup looked perfect. I could tell it was going to be good!
I changed the original Taste of Home recipe slightly by adding a bit of chili sauce because we like more of a tomato base to it. I also like my soup more soupy than chunky, so I added more liquid for that.
The result is a wonderful savory soup full of good stuff like tomatoes, butter beans, black beans and sweet Italian Sausage.
If you don’t have Italian sausage, I’m sure ground beef or ground turkey will be great too. Some of the reviewers used great northern beans instead of the butter beans, but I liked the texture the butter beans added.
You could even leave the meat out and add a third kind of bean if that’s more your style.
This Sausage Bean Soup is a nice addition to my soup recipes and I’ll be using it often!
- 3/4 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 C chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 can, (16 oz.) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can, (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can, (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp minced fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 1/2 cans, (or about 20 oz.) reduced-sodium beef broth
- In a Dutch oven or large pan, crumble and cook the sausage along with the onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili sauce, basil, and beef broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes.
You can add a teaspoon of olive oil if the sausage doesn't have enough fat to saute the onion and garlic. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1215mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 19g
Nutrition Values are Approximate