Summer is my favorite fruit season. Fresh berries, peaches and melons are in the farmer’s markets and make great dishes, like these Cherry Almond Muffins!
You can use fresh or dried cherries in this, or maybe blueberries or apricots. Any wonderful summer fruit would work. They’re tender and delicious.
Just to let you know, this recipe makes 24 muffins. They freeze well… or you could give some to your nice neighbors!
These Summer Cherry Muffins are terrific and perfect with your morning tea.
- 2 ¾ Cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ Cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ to 1 tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ Cups sour cream
- 1 ½ Cups sour cherries
- 3 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp of orange extract
- 2 tbsp evaporated milk or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour muffin tin cups or line with paper muffin cups.
- Combine flour, soda and salt in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, almond and vanilla extracts, sour cream and dry ingredients. Mix until just moistened (over mixing will make the muffins tough). Fold in the cherries.
- Fill the muffin cups about ¾ full with batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops are lightly browned. Move to a rack to cool.
- While muffins are cooling, mix together glaze ingredients to the texture you like and drizzle about ½ tsp on each muffin.
Tips and Stuff :
I used fresh sweet cherries (and quartered each of them), but you can use frozen sour cherries, canned or dried. Be sure they’re dried thoroughly or you'll have an icky, gray colored muffin.
Mine were done in 18 minutes – keep an eye on them.
The glaze is optional, but I think it makes them better!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 124mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate.