If you like Almond Joy candy bars, you’ll love this Chocolate Coconut Almond candy!
The filling is creamy, chewy coconut and there’s a little crunch from the slivered almonds. It’s decadent and delicious. These are going to go nicely on Christmas plates!
I usually shy away from the candies you have to dip because it’s soooo boring dipping 30 or 40 little balls in the chocolate. These are easy, though, because after refrigerated they’re a firm texture and dip quite nicely.
If you’d rather, you can leave out the almonds and have more of a Mounds experience, but I like the crunch they give the candy. Hope you enjoy this one!
Looking for another great candy recipe to go along with Chocolate Coconut Almond Candy? Here you go:
- 1 3/4 C. confectioners sugar
- 1 3/4 C. flaked coconut
- 1 C. slivered almonds
- 1/2 C. sweetened condensed milk
- 2 C. 12 oz. bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tbsp. shortening
- Stir together the confectioners sugar, coconut, almonds and sweetened condensed milk. Shape into 1 inch balls and refrigerate until firm - about 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a double-boiler until smooth.
- Dip the balls in the chocolate and allow the excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper to set (to set more quickly, put them in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes).
- Sprinkle lightly with coconut before they set if you want them to look "snowy!"
Tips and Stuff:
I used sweetened coconut, but unsweetened would work, too.
They were sticky to roll, but after they were refrigerated I re-rolled them a little bit because the rounder, the better they look after dipped.
Use a good quality of chocolate chips for the coating - it really makes a difference. I used Ghirardelli and the candy was wonderful.
You can melt the chocolate and shortening in the microwave, but I find that the double-boiler gives you much more control over the texture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
Nutrition Values are Approximate