I came into a giant tub of mushrooms (via Costco a la Bret) and am frantically looking for mushroom recipes since you can’t really freeze them for later. So far I’ve made this Chicken with Balsamic Mushrooms, Cheesy Mushroom and Jalapeno Quesadillas, and Homemade Cheesy Mushroom Burgers.
I feel like I have mushrooms coming out of my ears, but haven’t gotten tired of them quite yet! So far, this Chicken with Balsamic Mushrooms has been one of my favorites.
The mushrooms are cooked in a combination of olive oil and butter until softened, then the chicken breast is pounded thin, lightly dredged in a nice flour/herb mixture and lightly sauteed.
The mushrooms are simmered in a balsamic mustard mixture and then ladled over the tender chicken. The sauce is nice and tangy – you can dial down the balsamic vinegar if you want it a little milder.
If you happen upon a ton ‘o mushrooms, try this recipe. You probably have all of the basic ingredients for it. It’s a fairly easy dish to throw together and makes a nice weeknight dinner along with a side vegetable and salad.
- 1 1/2 C mushrooms, , thick sliced
- Olive Oil
- 3 tsp butter
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, , pounded thin
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp pureed garlic
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- In a nonstick pan, heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of butter and saute the mushrooms until soft, 3-4 minutes. Remove mushrooms from the pan into a bowl and keep warm.
- Combine the flour, basil, thyme, salt and pepper on a plate and dredge the chicken breasts until lightly coated.
- Add a teaspoon or so more of olive oil and the remaining 1 teaspoon of butter to the pan and turn heat to medium-high. Saute the chicken, browning on each side, until done - about 7-8 minutes total. Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- While the chicken cooks, combine the balsamic vinegar, mustard and garlic in a small bowl.
- Add chicken stock to hot pan and deglaze, stirring up all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook on medium-low for 2-3 minutes, then add the mushrooms back into the pan along with the balsamic vinegar mixture. Stir and reduce sauce for 1-2 minutes more. Pour over chicken and serve immediately.
Tips and Stuff:
We only use one chicken breast because when it's pounded thin it makes enough for us to split.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 28g
Nutrition Values are Approximate