You’re saying, “not another chocolate chip cookie recipe!” But this is my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. You probably have one – you’ve adjusted and adapted until it’s perfect for you and your family.
I’ve tweaked this recipe over many, many years and finally have it perfect.
It’s uses part butter, part shortening and that makes for a great textured cookie – chewy on the inside, crisp brown around the edges, and full of wonderful semisweet chips and bittersweet chunks.
These cookies also use a bit more salt than usual, so you get that sweet and lightly salty combination. You can adjust accordingly, but this recipe is really perfect as is.
Oh, and I wanted to show you my special flying cookie. Looks like it’s hovering above everything, doesn’t it? It made me laugh (as I was grabbing it for a snack…).
- 1 3/4 C. plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 scant tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. soda
- 3/4 C. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C. granulated sugar
- 1/2 C. shortening
- 1/2 C. (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3/4 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt and soda. Set aside.
- Cream the sugars, butter, shortening, vanilla, and egg together, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and and mix until combined. Pour in the chocolate chips and chunks and stir until thoroughly mixed in.
- Spoon the cookie dough out in heaping tablespoons (about 2" balls) and lightly roll into balls - place about 2 to 2 1/2" apart on prepared cookie sheet (they will spread a lot).
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. The cookie will look slightly undercooked, but remove them when they turn golden brown around the edges. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then move to a cookie rack to cool completely.
After you've rolled them into loose 2 to 2 1/2" balls, place carefully on the cookie sheet without flattening at all. This will keep the chewy inside and crispy edges.
You can add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts if you want, but they're better without them.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 103mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
Nutrition Values are Approximate