This Apricot Muffins recipe is one my sister, Sherry, contributed to the family cookbook and I’ve been wanting to try it for a long time. It’s interesting because it has no eggs and ends up with a wonderfully dense, but tender texture.
I’m not usually an apricot fan, but soaking them in water plumped them up so they were soft and not as chewy as you would think. The orange zest really adds, well…adds a zest to the muffin and the glaze.
But oh, that glaze! The addition of butter makes it thick and creamy without that gritty powdered sugar texture that you may be used to. It’s the perfect finish for this muffin.
These Apricot Muffins are the best muffins I’ve had in a long while. Very photogenic, too:
- 1 C chopped apricots
- 1 C boiling water
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 C sour cream
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 pecans, (optional)
- 1 tsp butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp . orange zest
- Soak chopped apricots in the boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Add sour cream and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl, then stir into cream mixture until just moistened.
- Drain the apricots and fold into mixture; add pecans (optional).
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. (Check after 15 minutes - should be light golden brown.)
- Whisk the ingredients together for the glaze.
- Cool the muffins and spread the glaze on them.
Tips and Stuff:
I didn't use pecans, but they would be really good in these.
I made a few changes to Sherry's original recipe. Hers called for margarine which would work fine.
When glazing the muffins, set them on a rack with a sheet of waxed paper under it to catch the excess glaze. Then wipe up the excess glaze with your little fingers and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
Nutrition Values are Approximate